Over 60% of Christmas holiday shopping is done online. Though that’s fierce competition it also presents an opportunity for businesses to collect consumer information (location and email address), assess where they are coming from (via Facebook, Instagram, Google etc), and strategise your marketing so you can retain them as customers.
Here are our top tips for customer retention:
Add that personal touch
A quick thank you note on the back of a business card, gift wrapping, or a free gift (with branding) tells customers that some thought has gone into their order. When customers feel appreciated then it typically creates a lasting impression.
Personalise your marketing
No one like anything more than hearing or seeing their name and personalisation is easy via email marketing software such as Mailchimp, Campaign Monitor or Mad Mimi.
Give them a reason to shop again
Free shipping or a discount code on your next order, 2-for-1 deals and loyalty programmes can all drive revenue. These are great incentives fo the discount buyer who is looking for a reason to buy again.
Provide exceptional customer support
- Respond to emails and phone calls promptly, as well as social media pages.
- Be flexible with returns and exchanges so issues can be resolved quickly and without dramas.
- Help customers find what they want with gift guides.
- Take their complaints seriously and solve them promptly. Many people are under stress at this time of year and your empathy will get you on their good side!
- Make sure your website works well on desktops, phones and tablets. It’s also important all website images are clear but aren’t so large that it creates slow loading.
Ask for feedback
Once you know what customers like/don’t like about your store you’re in a much better position to offer then what they want. Incentivise feedback by offering them a promotion so they are more likely to do what you want.
Remind them who you are
WOW customers with well-crafted automated emails. Companies like Mailchimp allow you to design automated responses so customers can’t forget you. Some popular examples include:
- A welcome message
- First-time buyer
- Product recommendations
- Abandoned carts
Email marketing offers the best return of any digital marketing so collecting email addresses from pop-ups, expos and social media channels is imperative.
Businesses who retarget their customers can see conversions increase up to 400%!
We hope those tips help you retain your customers well after the tinsel has come down. It will help build your brand and a solid customer base throughout the year.